FIREFIGHTER TRAINING : RECRUITMENT & RETENTION RESIDENT INTERN PROGRAM
We are offering a premiere opportunity for men and women seeking a career in the fire service industry. Our program will immerse interns into the lifestyle of a firefighter, allowing them to develop top-level emergency service skills and certifications including partial tuition assistance towards Associates in Science in Fire Service Administration Degree. MCFPD will prepare its students for a professional career through outstanding training, education and real world experience.
Upon entering the program, our intern firefighters will be assigned dorm style room they will share with other interns at the MCFPD main or outlying stations. Recruits will immediately be assigned to a Shift and Shift Commander. Recruits will respond to all emergencies with their assigned Shift Commander and Firefighter during their assigned duty schedule, giving them a one-of-a-kind hands-on experience before becoming a professional firefighter. In addition to free housing the District will pay tuition and tuition travel expenses for the intern to obtain their Firefighter I & II, EMT-B license and Fire Service Instructor I, Investigator, Inspector, Driver/Operator and Fire Officer I and II through University of Missouri Fire and Rescue Training Institute Summer and Winter Fire Schools. In addition the interns will have the opportunity to apply those and receive their Associate in Science in Fire Service Administration Degree through Columbia College.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant must possess a current and valid State issued Vehicle Operator's or Chauffeur's license or greater (CDL). Must be able to obtain Missouri license within 30 days.
- The applicant must have a satisfactory driving record. This will be determined by the operator's record check, background check and personal observation.
- IFSAC Firefighter I & II Certifications preferred but not mandatory.
- The applicant must past the physical agility testing performed by Mid-County Fire Protection District during the application process.
- The applicant must past a competency test also administered by Mid-County Fire Protection District during the application process.
- The applicant shall be qualified to operate all District Apparatus at their assigned station in accordance with all applicable District policies and procedures.
- The applicant must be willing to follow the guidelines set forth in the recruitment and Retention Resident Rules and Regulations.
CANDIDATE PHYSICAL AGILITY TESTING
The job of firefighter is one of the most physically demanding jobs. Firefighting requires high levels of cardiopulmonary endurance, muscular strength and muscular endurance. The Skill Drills consists of 11 Stations that simulate actual job duties on the fire ground. This test is physically demanding and requires that you be physically fit to be successful. The stations consist of:
• Hose Drag
• Ladder Hoist
• Ladder Climb with Hose Pack
• 5 inch Hose Pull
• High Rise Stair Climb
• Blind Crawl
• Hose Coupling
• Pike Pole Drill
• Equipment Lift
• Dummy Drag
In addition to free housing, the District will pay partial tuition and tuition travel expenses for the intern to obtain their Firefighter I & II, EMT-B license and Fire Service Instructor I, Investigator, Inspector, Driver/Operator and Fire Officer I through University of Missouri Fire and Rescue Training Institute Summer and Winter Fire Schools. In addition, the interns will have the opportunity for partial tuition assistants towards their Associate in Science in Fire Service Administration Degree through Columbia College.
Program Applications must be completed and returned via e-mail to Administrator or mailed to Mid-County Fire Protection District, 184 N. Business Route 5, Camdenton, MO 65020, and ATTN: Recruitment and Retention Coordinator. We are currently accepting applications to be placed on a waiting list.